• www-gem@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

I noticed that it was not maintained when some pop-ups showed up while they used to be blocked. I also first missed that level of granularity from umatrix. You can replicate it with the element picker mode in Ublock but I realized that I could live with the “basic” Ublock advanced settings.

• thingsiplay@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

I can’t replicate this with ublock element picker, because not every element can be picked like in matrix. Also I can see what domain each element is that I am about to block, and even just block or allow specific elements per domain. umatrix also does not save all changed rules until I click the save button. Its easy to revert and try stuff.

With the element picker in ublock its not like that. In example I use zapper to block stuff (btw it can only block, not allow stuff). And now when I want to make that setup permanent, I have to reload site and start doing the same again with the permanent block element functionality.

But on the other side, for some webpages ublocks visual blocker is much better. In my experience, both tools are good and cannot replicate the other. I even think umatrix should be installed by default everywhere ublock origin is installed too, but someone trustworthy needs to maintain it.

• www-gem@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        21 days ago

Using Ublock picker (not zapper) you can block/allow elements per domain and save/revert your choices. But overall, like I already said, I agree with you that umatrix offered a more granular and easy approach. It would be nice to see that implemented in Ublock. I nonetheless understand why it’s not the case since it would benefit only few users and may scared most of the others.

Hopefully umatrix will work for you for a long time. For me it was not and that’s how I discovered Ublock and adapt to its “limitations”. On a daily basis it helps me browse the internet like umatrix did. It’s just sad that umatrix was not forked.