• RecallMadness@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

Is “lux touch marble” really a material? It’s a designer tile made from a number of other materials sold with an extravagant markup to part rich idiots with their money.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Gotta have some antimatter in it as well

Otherwise, how else do those printers keep messing up something we’ve been able to do for decades? Must be quantum mechanics.

• Nemo Wuming@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

The fact that diamonds are on this list shows the insane power of relentless marketing combined with a monopoly to artificially jack up the price of something that would be almost worthless otherwise.

• PenguinTD@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

this graph by itself is a marketing material, when ever someone compiles a “how rare” list of things, is by itself a marketing material. Cause rare equal value.

• Car@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

I’m glad it’s suitable for yachts. Can’t have my yacht looking like a second-rate palace without my LuxTouch tiles.

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Wtf is that site.

Looking crappy as fuck, selling 1mio$/m² tiles without a single picture, and fucking islands

• Deconceptualist@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

I would dispute the listing of antimatter as a material. Hypothetically it could be one, but it doesn’t exist that way on Earth. Humans generate plenty of positrons for things like imaging (PET scans) but those don’t stick around. We don’t create anywhere near enough anti-hydrogen atoms to be seen or used on any macroscopic scale.

• Alex@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

I understand why all the things that require accelerators are so expensive but what the hell are red diamonds? Surely anything not carbon in the matrix would make them less diamond like?

• RecallMadness@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

They’re just regular diamonds, but with flaws in the carbon lattice that just so happens to make them appear red.

• hemko@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      22 days ago

They’re very very rare, it seems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_diamond?wprov=sfla1

red diamond is a diamond which displays red color and exhibits the same mineral properties as colorless diamonds. Red diamonds are commonly known as the most expensive and the rarest diamond color in the world, even more so than pink or blue diamonds, as very few red diamonds have been found. Red diamonds, just like pink diamonds, are greatly debated as to the source of their color, but the gemological community most commonly attributes both colors to gliding atoms in the diamond’s structure as it undergoes enormous pressure during its formation. Red diamonds are among the 12 colors of fancy color diamonds, and have the most expensive price per carat. They will typically run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars per carat range. Since they are the rarest color, it is difficult to find them in large sizes, and they are mostly found in sizes less than 1 carat. Red diamonds only exist with one color intensity, Fancy, although their clarities can range from Flawless to Included, just like white diamonds. The largest and most flawless red diamond is the 5.11 carat Fancy Red Moussaieff Red Diamond, which has internally flawless clarity.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        22 days ago

I think including non-synthetic gems is a copout, since it’s not the scarcity of the material itself, but the scarcity of the material when it’s given a particular laser engraving saying it’s natural and flawless.

Something about not being a fungible commodity, unlike tritium, where one gram of that particular chemical is interchangeable with any other of the same purity.