• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

Woah there tiger, this is kind of a tirade. A moment ago you were accusing me of making assumptions about you when I know nothing about you, and now this?

I can see that you’re very passionate about equity and equality. Nevermind me. I’m cynical and jaded and the light of idealism has long since faded from my eyes.

I could enumerate all the ways you’re wrong about me but I would find it difficult not to antagonise you further, so instead I will just wish you well.

• secretlyaddictedtolinux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      22 days ago

I literally said in the post “I don’t know you” and everything was a guess. Apparently I guessed wrong. Alright, I believe you. Perhaps you are some finance bro calculating net present values of bonds and staring at spreadsheets 10 hours a day?

I’m not passionate about equality and equity. I actually am just against torturing homeless people and against lower classes being forced to slave away most of their lives just to not die or become a tortured homeless person. It’s a sad commentary on the world that disliking torturing poor people and expressing that is a “tirade.”

It’s not complex or idealistic. Don’t torture homeless people, don’t make the lives of the poor unbearable.

The problem is that when you ignore classism or don’t realize that the antipathy of the upper classes causes these problems, you’re part of the problem too. I wish I could wish you well, but people like you do enable massive cruelty by ignoring the truth, and I don’t think you are stupid, I think you choose convenience and convenient thoughts and I hope you do end up suffering greatly and that your suffering gives solace to the destitute underclass. If you are part of the destitute underclass, I hope you learn to hate your oppressors and see them for what they are without turning into a communist who just wants to enslave everyone with big government.

You seem like someone who at least has some intelligence. Realize that the price gouging, homelessness, and extreme poverty and a system that allows elites to pay to persuade the stupid public with religion and wedge issues leads to corrupt outcomes. Even if you are a Democrat and vote against conservative policies, if you are going along with the current structure, you are supporting it because the structure is designed to not change much. It offers a convenient way to pretend you want change while enjoying the fruits of the extraordinary suffering of the extremely marginalized. You could change your views if you wanted. Realize that not acknowledging that the upper classes are the primary cause of this situation and that they use wealth to maintain power even if it means extraordinary cruelty. You can realize that voting Democrat does not absolve you from maintaining the power structure especially if you are a subtle apologist for it. Your views do matter. They hate ebikes because poor people and young people use them and it offers freedom: that is the main reason. It’s not a crazy to think. They want you jaded and cynical and to think extreme poverty is a nuanced issue too hard to solve and has nothing to do with classism instead of the exploitation that it is, they make it convenient to hold ideas like this, distract your with hedonism and an easy life if you just forget about their worst inflictions of cruelty. Give up convenience and see the truth of how horrible some people are treated and that it’s not a crazy conspiracy that their suffering has a cause from top to bottom. I don’t think you will do it, I think you will continue to live in a bubble and not help the lowest classes and have the same laissez-faire morality towards the environment and only on your death bed when you see the impending death of the next generation due to environmental doom will you issue a mea culpa to whatever your fantasy god of choice is.

this isn’t passion, i just hate bullshit

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

I was really just trying to find a not-completely-unpleasant way to tie off our little tete-a-tete, and sought to do do by constructing a well meaning although vague compliment. I’m sorry if that offended you.

• secretlyaddictedtolinux@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 days ago

I appreciate how the middle and upper classes who feign ignorance over their oppression always fall back on fake pretense of respectability and civility and genteelness as though their oppression didn’t stem from violence, even if they only watch it or support it through their efforts. If a homeless person who has nothing to eat steals an apple, and the police paid with your labor come to drag him away, would you do anything to stop it? Of course not. Your labor that signs off on the power structure and indifference to the class structure is a form of violence, and trying to end things by falling back on the disguise of respectability is a well known technique.

I appreciate your trying to end this by saying “I am just a nice and respectful person, trying to end this in a civilized way,” the final refuge of oppressors: we are just civilized and they aren’t, as though your violence at a distance towards the poor somehow exculpates you and your genteelness protects you from impurity.

If you do not realize that extraordinary cruelty and evil is being done to homeless people, and if you don’t realize this stems from the upper classes creating oppressive structures due to disdain for the freedom of the poor, then you are either stupid or vicious and avaricious and seduced by convenience and you clearly aren’t stupid. None of this matters in the end, the stupidity of the non-scientific class and myopia and selfishness of the upper classes has doomed us all and global warming is coming for us. It’s like skiing and seeing an avalanche and it’s too wide to ski to the side and you can only ski downhill in futility. There’s no outrunning global warming. Imagine India and Pakistan in 20 years in the future in the hottest regions at the hottest times. The displacements will be enormous, there’s only so much water in certain areas. How will everyone react then?

I’m not offended by you specifically. You and your kind that feign ignorance of class oppression are a part of nature, you have no control over your mendacious ploys just like snakes wandering into a garden don’t really ask to be that way. However, the lower classes are becoming much more educated and as the environment becomes more undeniably destroyed by the upper classes, it will be interesting to see the emotional response of a more educated Internet-empowered lower class as their environment disintegrates before them. The ultra rich have underground bunkers to try to wait this period out for a few generations. It’s the smart thing to do, but likely won’t matter. My calculations and assessments of this situation could also be completely wrong if I am analyzing the data incorrectly, but I’m almost certain I am right. The data and mathematical trends are ugly and not negotiable. Most of the scientists who don’t believe in global warming likely have views rooted in religious delusion.

There is no civility to your kind and I don’t accept your facade of respectability or agree to end our interaction with some sort of agree to disagree pseudo-civility. I still hope you suffer for being among the group that feigns ignorance of the cruelty inflicted by the upper classes. I am not a hippy striving for love at all times. I hope you suffer and I hope it hurts like paper cuts are covering your entire body.