• masquenox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

(believe it or not, going to church is not “media.”)

Do you know what happens to religious organisations or movements that starts to threaten the line laid down through the media by the status quo? This.

The example posted also nicely demonstrates just how easily the status quo can be threatened by religion.

Religion is a very important propaganda tool - but it doesn’t control squat. Control is a material thing - justifying that control isn’t.

If you could control people through religion you wouldn’t need goon squads to terrorize people into giving you that control in the first place, would you? Humans are not zombies - they can interpret religious ideas on their own just as they can political ones.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

Religion is a very important propaganda tool - but it doesn’t control squat.

That must be why LGBT+ people are so tolerated in Muslim and evangelical Christian communities in countries where being queer is legal, right? They’re really tolerated and loved and no one in a church or mosque is telling them they’re evil, just the media. Because you can’t control people through religion.

• masquenox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 days ago

There’s no need to go all reactionary atheist (a religion that has no churches or temples - but lots of media) on me - it’s not going to gain you anything.

I’ll explain it this way -

To be anti-LGBTQ+ is to be anti-working class. Period. No ifs, ands or buts.

To be anti-religion is to be anti-working class. Period. No ifs, ands or buts.

There is no contradiction here. If you think there is one, it’s your logic that requires examination.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

Who do you think tells them to be homophobic? Do you think it’s genetic or something? They get it from the churches.

• masquenox@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            23 days ago

Do you think it’s genetic or something?

Do you really believe that it’s religion itself that is (somehow) fundamentally threatened by homosexuality? Are you really going to try and tell me that Christianity grew inside the Roman empire because the Romans (of all people) were all closeted homophobes deep down?

Come now… I know you’re smarter than that.

If the Christian churches all over the west that align themselves with empire are peddling anti-LGBTQ+ narratives it’s because the embrace of LGBTQ+ people poses a threat to said empire - not Christianity.

• masquenox@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                23 days ago

Please explain to me how queer people are a threat to Western governments.

You mean…liberals themselves hysterically painting transgender people as a “threat to liberal values” isn’t enough for you?

Content warning - it’s very liberal.

I mean… did you really think the colonialists brutally imposed heternormativity on the colonized world for shits and giggles? Or do you perhaps suspect that it has somethng to do with the vast resources flowing from the colonized world to the liberal empires and the cheap, expendable labor that makes it flow in the first place?

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  23 days ago

Yes, I know right-wing people hate queer people. That doesn’t answer my question. If it is governments, not religions, that are the cause of homophobia, what threat do queer people pose?

• masquenox@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    23 days ago

Yes, I know right-wing people hate queer people.

What did you think right-wing ideology exists for? What did you think the status quo is?

That doesn’t answer my question.

You really don’t know any of this, do you? Fine.

None of this is a secret anymore, you know - you could have found this all by yourself.