Waterloo region needs to scale up its climate actions if it wants to achieve its target of 50 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2030, according to a local community group.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    30 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Waterloo region needs to scale up its climate actions if it wants to achieve its target of 50 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2030, a local community organization says.

In her report, Kyra Chisholm, plan manager at ClimateActionWR, said community GHG emissions in 2022 decreased by 12 per cent below the 2010 baseline.

We are in a crucial window to make changes in this decade as part of global efforts to keep warming limited to 1.5 C. It is also a necessary milestone for our long-term target of 80 per cent emissions reduction by 2050."

Countries agreed in the 2015 Paris Agreement to try to prevent global warming surpassing 1.5 C, to avoid it unleashing more severe and irreversible consequences.

According to Chisholm, passenger vehicles, including cars, light duty trucks and SUVs account for 65 per cent of transportation emissions.

Colleen James, chair of the planning and works committee, said to meet its 2030 targets, “climate action must continue to be a collaborative effort in Waterloo region.”

The original article contains 483 words, the summary contains 170 words. Saved 65%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!