Are there any apps that support RCS that aren’t made by Google or a crappy cellular provider (ie: bloatware Verizon apps)?

I appreciate the features RCS has, but I’d love to get that without sending it all to Google with a “trust us” approach to backdoor keys. The documentation I looked at indicated that anyone could setup an app to support RCS and communicate with Google’s RCS users, but I can’t find any apps that actually do that.

Also would love to be able to message from multiple devices using RCS, which Google has working in their web app.

• orclev@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

SMS is also super low level, it’s like the equivalent of ping. The GSM protocol already had a way to send small packets of data to phones for diagnostic/control purposes and someone figured you could also cram small text messages in there and thus SMS was born. It was really created as a way to monitize functionality that already needed to exist on the network for technical reasons. Back in the early days of GSM text messaging plans were a big money maker for the carriers because it cost them almost nothing to send SMS across the network but they charged customers by the message.