Apologies if this is a basic question, but I am curious to know what I am missing out on by not having access to private torrents? I have been able to find everything I wanted using public ones.

• MutatedBass@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

The main benefits of private trackers are:

• Download speed. Many users of these trackers will use seedboxes to build ratio. This generally results in a faster download speed for peers.

• Security. Many (but not all) private trackers have strict entry barriers, such as invite only or application based signups. This keeps copyright trolls out of their swarms, which eliminates the need for a vpn or other method of masking your identity. Depending on where you live this can range from a nicety to a necessity.

• Longevity. Torrents generally live longer on private trackers.

• Community. Some private trackers have a forum or IRC channel where you can interact with other community members.

• Availability. Many private trackers will have a wider range of releases of a single media.

• Quality. You will generally find higer quality releases on private trackers. That’s not to say that high quality releases don’t make it to public trackers, some do and some don’t.

• Faster releases. Releases will typically come to private trackers first. May torrents originate on these trackers or come from scene groups and trickle down.

If you’re finding everything you want on public trackers then you probably aren’t missing anything. You could test the waters on TL or something next time they open.

• viral@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

i’m not entirely sure if it is but i’m inclined to agree with you, it’s almost verbatim to chatgpt 3.0’s writing style

• sensibilidades@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

As a non-AI Learning Model, I cannot conclude one way or the other with any certainty. What I can say is that ChatGPT responses tend to follow a similar pattern:

• Consistent and clear responses: ChatGPT will often respond to prompts with very readable, well-formatted bulleted lists
            • Socratic reasoning: Items in those lists will have a logical structure from beginning to end

Finally, ChatGPT responses tend to end those lists with a summarizing statement that restates the previous ideas - that ChatGPT will often respond in lists, use a formal and logical writing style, and end with a concise summary of the previous statements.

• Gabbro@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                1 year ago

It’s too bad I already wrote like that before ChatGPT was public. For fun I put in an essay of mine from a couple of years back into a detector that told me parts were generated by AI ☠️

• Zorque@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Basically ChatGPT is very good at conveying information in an easy to read and helpful way. Unlike most people on the internet.

• AtomicPurple@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Fuck, apparently I write like ChatGPT. I didn’t think anything was off about the original comment because I write in a very similar way. Information is always structured under headers or in bulleted lists.

• sensibilidades@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

A more charitable interpretation is that the text that people thought would best train ChatGPT tended to be thoughtful and well-written posts like yours. Maybe you don’t write like ChatGPT, but ChatGPT writes like you.

• priapus@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

No, people are just saying this whenever a comment has bullet points lol. You didn’t have a tone similar to any LLM I know.

• ChemicalRascal@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I frankly disagree. If I were to write a list of benefits of using private trackers (ergo, actually directly answer OP’s question), that’s exactly how I would write it and I’d very likely use a similar writing style.

Further, ChatGPT doesn’t use the “<Topic>. <Further elaboration on topic>” format from what I’ve seen, and IMO wouldn’t finish out the post with a recommendation to OP how they could get their feet wet with a particular private tracker.

• kestrel7@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I dunno man, it’s more-or-less correct and that’s not something I’ve come to expect from LLM’s.

• mochi@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is all good info. I still use a VPN with my private tracker though. You never know.

• 42069@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

These are all great points, but I just wanted to add to the point about security that private trackers are typically very good about managing/minimizing the prevalence of malware on their platforms, whereas public trackers can have all sorts of fun surprises depending on what you’re searching for.