Worth noting I encountered these liberal apologists within MONTHS of Biden taking office. The very day it came to light that he was opening even more concentration camps, there were liberal Democrats crawling all over reddit, tumblr, and twitter to explain why this was good ackshually.

Side note: Never listen when they say “now’s not the time to talk about this in an election year.” That’s a red flag that alerts you that you can safely discard anything else they say after that. They were saying that already in 2021.

• Kericake🥕 (They(/It))@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

I recall several times I went looking for news about the concentration camps at/for the southern border, even posted a few times in various places asking what was up, why they weren’t being talked about any more. Fuckin’ weird to me that “we” will collectively just forget about people (including kids, for those who value them more) dying in cages because “we” put them there. It’s not a fun topic, sure, but if we’re gonna be caring about things or pretending we do then that’s a pretty good one.

The glaringly obvious fact that Joe is a murderous pile of crap doesn’t make Donald any better… but it’s still true. The absolute least one can do is acknowledge evil for what it is, no?

• winterayars@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

It’s not a fun topic but we talked about it a lot during the Trump years.

The only response the Democratic Party has to criticism, for years now, is “what are you going to do about it, vote Republican?”

• LinkOpensChest.wav@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOPM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          19 days ago

100% bullshit. Biden could accept that persecuting an entire group of people is unacceptable, no matter how popular this manifestation of bigotry may be.

Instead, he’s throwing fuel on the flames of fascism.

You’re applying the logic of a low-tier SS officer making excuses for Nazi Germany.

• winterayars@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          19 days ago

If public opinion is the problem then the correct thing to do is change public opinion, not throw up your hands and go “nothing can be done, we just have to keep splitting up these families and keeping them in concentration camps”. How the hell did we get to the point where that seems inevitable?

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            18 days ago

The thing is, it’s not public opinion, it’s opinion among people who are going to vote Trump no matter what. Dems still think the winning strategy is to “push” republicans as far to the right as possible, then triangulate their own positions 1 iota to the left of the republicans so that all those moderate republican swing voters finally vote democrat.

• LinkOpensChest.wav@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

So much yes! The cavalier and defensive responses by Democrats have disillusioned me of the notion that they’re willing to “push Biden left” as they say.

Instead, they’ll straight up brag about how Biden has imprisoned and deported more immigrants than Trump, and gloat about how they offered “the most restrictive anti-immigrant bill” ever but were rejected.

And maybe idk here’s a novel thought for Democrats: Just maybe stop trying to appeal to fascists? Maybe try being the “lesser evil” they claim to be instead of committing atrocities on the regular and spreading the Republicans’ racist propaganda for them?

My expectations for Biden were abysmally low (but I did vote for him in 2020), yet he continues to find new lows to which to stoop. Nothing I’ve seen from him or his supporters inspires hope.