• MacedWindow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    18 days ago

I hope someone is able to claim the prize! I don’t think Ive seen this idea explored, even by science-fiction (though Im sure it has been)

• Haggunenons@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

Yeah, it has been relatively untouched even by fiction. Star Trek IV has some in it. The series Made For Love as well, but not in a very series way. I’d love to know of more. Oh, the children’s movie UP has those headsets for talking dogs.

Totally not due to science or anything, but the comedy series Wilfred with Elijah Wood is fantastic and certainly involves human-animal conversation.

• Haggunenons@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      18 days ago

Oh yeah! These things are great. We’ve had a few posts in here about them. I know some people debate whether or not the dogs really understand what they are doing. Sometimes people will say that they are just filming so much and sharing the most impressive videos. I don’t know though, there are certainly some really convincing ones.

I wonder if anyone is working on any sort of AI tutor for dogs with this idea.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 days ago

They do understand. I have a cat that talks with buttons. I try to count the amount of nonsense vs actual needs, and it is around 70% something understandable (i.e. “food” when hungry, “litterbox” when it’s dirty (and it needs to be really dirty for him - like a day old), treats (when I press okay he runs to his treat spot) or “let’s play”). More examples include “now” and “later”, where he presses two buttons, then when asked clarifies about one of those things. I.e. let’s play, pet me, I ask which he goes either “let’s play now” or “pet me later” etc. It needs a lot of consistency though.

• reev@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    18 days ago

Can’t wait for capitalism to claim animals for regular service labor on top of already exploiting them for consumption.

On the other hand, excited to chat to my dog.