link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I had a whole house of this brand of smoke detectors (5) and bought them back in 2019 and my wood burner had wind blow back down the chimney. It filled my house with smoke and the only one that went off was the smoke detector that i had taken down an set on my table that was the previous i was replacing . this should be illegal to sell something that is this important to someones safety. regardless to say im never buying first alert again

• johntash@eviltoast.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m not an expert and it’s definitely possible they’re shit, but I remember doing research for buying new smoke detectors and finding out about all the different types of them. Like some don’t even care about smoke, they only care about heat. And others use different methods of detecting smoke that can be better for different types of fires (kitchen grease fire vs electrical fire).

Anyway I had no idea there was more than one type, I feel like that should also be made more obvious when buying new ones.

• roguetrick@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Two different types of sensors. Photoelectric use light and are good for detecting thick smoke(produced by smoldering, incomplete combustion) like you’re describing, which is likely what your old one was. Ionizing sensors use radiation and detect small particles more common in active fires(complete combustion).