• kite@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Yep. First thing to do is run a vacuum over them. Even the tiniest bit of dust can make them cranky and chirpy. If that doesn’t work and you don’t know how old they are, pop them off the ceiling and look at the back for a manufacture date. In general, smoke detectors (even without the ten year battery) have a life span of about 10 years. If they’ve hit that milestone, it’s a good chance they are beeping because they are old and they should be replaced. Next would be a call to the PITA management about them. If you get no love from management, look up what fire department covers your address; many departments will go out to check your detectors if you can’t get them to stop beeping and your landlord is being a butt. If your department is a volunteer one, it may be next to impossible to get ahold of them as there will probably not be anyone at the station to answer phones. For volunteer departments in my area, you need to call the county fire marshal / emergency management office in order to get hooked up with the volunteer department as they have the personal contact numbers for the volunteer chiefs, so I would try that (or the equivalent for your area). If it’s a career fire department, you should be able to call them directly. Even if they are out of the station, if it’s normal business hours and you call their HQ, they likely have a business office that will answer.

• shadowSprite@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Also, I just wanted to come back here and update. I pulled my detectors down and they are from January of 2012. Put a note in with our maintenance department requesting replacement, so hopefully that gets dealt with. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

• kite@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You are very welcome! Good luck with maintenence, I hope yours is more responsive about them than the ones here tend to be.

• shadowSprite@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Good advice with the vacuum. It definitely gets dusty in here, so I’ll check that first.

About the fire department, funny thing that, it’s volunteer here, and I’m actually on the department, but I’m not a firefighter, I’m medical side and don’t know the slightest thing about fire except that it’s hot and I stay away from it. My role on fire calls is to drag hoses where I’m told lol. I keep forgetting to ask the real firefighters about my detectors when I see them, but if I can’t get it resolved by cleaning or talking to management I’ll have to talk to the chief or ask my LT.

Thank you!