• PlutoParty@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    18 days ago

As a programmer and system admin, I’ve been using Google since its inception, too. I can’t think of an instance that I’ve failed to find whatever I’m looking for in recent times. People say what you’re saying a lot, so I don’t doubt you. It just makes me wonder what it is you guys are searching for because I search for some extremely obscure stuff quite often with no issues. This is all to say, I have a fair share of qualms with Google, but the search engine itself isn’t one of them.

• MrPoopbutt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

I think a lot of it is that the content that google returns is mostly ads or clickbait articles that contain no useful information. You can usually find what you are looking for but you have to actually put time and effort into filtering all the bullshit now.

• PlutoParty@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        17 days ago

Maybe it is my ad blocker that is filtering this kind of stuff for me. Or maybe the things I look up most often are specific enough that there isn’t much bullshit or clickbaity stuff to show. Sure, I’ll see the occasional “Sponsored” link. I think my brain just auto-filters those and I don’t even take notice. I really don’t intend to sound like a Google fanboy - I’m not. I just don’t seem to experience this, but hear people say this a lot. The attached screenshot seems like a typical result for something I’d look up, and it’s exactly what I’m looking for. In any case, thanks for your perspective. I’m going to try to be more conscious to see if I’m just fooling myself.

• bokherif@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

I’ve seen a few people mention exactly what you said, so either it’s Google A/B testing some dumb shit, or it’s because you haven’t been using Google the same way I have in the past. I don’t just look for information that is objective, few years back, Google was very good at providing links to articles with steps to do X. Nowadays it always redirects me to sites where words related to X are mentioned the most, rather than providing useful information.