First off I am in England in the UK, so that’s the medical system I would probably be using.

I’ve had significant issues with executive function throughout my life, but especially in the last two years of my integrated masters degree. This includes organization, as well as staying focused. I’ve had issues with losing things, multitasking, procrastinating, racing thoughts, and other issues in the other areas of life as well. I am thinking of going back to do a PhD or starting my first full time job, and am worried that I will really struggle this time.

I got a diagnosis of Asperger’s before you could officially have a dual diagnosis under the DSM. So even though some of initial paperwork said I had significant evidence of ADHD, I couldn’t actually be diagnosed with both so I guess Asperger’s took precedence. This all happened when I was like 4 or 5 years old.

I am thinking medications or maybe therapy might be helpful, but I don’t know if I need the second diagnosis to get those. From what I understand the NHS (UK public health system) has long wait times, and going private might be expensive. Additionally going to a psychologist, and talking about stuff with my family seems scary.

Additionally I have issues with sleeping and waking that probably won’t help get all of this organized, and I probably need to get this addressed too. I understand that both ASD and ADHD can cause sleep issues, so maybe getting treatment for those would help.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this is also the right community for this as I wasn’t sure where to post this.

Edit: I also have hyperfixation/hyperfocus/special interests out the waazoo, but I didn’t know if this was relevant as that’s also a part of having autism.

• areyouevenreal@lemm.eeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 days ago

I would have no idea what the ASD process for an adult is like, mine was upgraded(?) from the Asperger’s syndrome diagnosis I got as a child when medical terminology shifted. Is it difficult?

• Lhianna@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

Well, last time I checked they said it would take 3-5 years waiting time to get an appointment, recently I learned they don’t even have an open waiting list right now.

• areyouevenreal@lemm.eeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 days ago

Yikes. I don’t think I have ever been so glad to already have an autism diagnosis.

What is the wait time like for ADHD?

• Senal@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

Same, they are currently still working through the 2019 backlog.

There is the option of going through “Right To Choose” system, which is ostensibly quicker but i think you have to pay for things yourself.

GP or doctor can give you proper advice about that though.