First off I am in England in the UK, so that’s the medical system I would probably be using.

I’ve had significant issues with executive function throughout my life, but especially in the last two years of my integrated masters degree. This includes organization, as well as staying focused. I’ve had issues with losing things, multitasking, procrastinating, racing thoughts, and other issues in the other areas of life as well. I am thinking of going back to do a PhD or starting my first full time job, and am worried that I will really struggle this time.

I got a diagnosis of Asperger’s before you could officially have a dual diagnosis under the DSM. So even though some of initial paperwork said I had significant evidence of ADHD, I couldn’t actually be diagnosed with both so I guess Asperger’s took precedence. This all happened when I was like 4 or 5 years old.

I am thinking medications or maybe therapy might be helpful, but I don’t know if I need the second diagnosis to get those. From what I understand the NHS (UK public health system) has long wait times, and going private might be expensive. Additionally going to a psychologist, and talking about stuff with my family seems scary.

Additionally I have issues with sleeping and waking that probably won’t help get all of this organized, and I probably need to get this addressed too. I understand that both ASD and ADHD can cause sleep issues, so maybe getting treatment for those would help.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this is also the right community for this as I wasn’t sure where to post this.

Edit: I also have hyperfixation/hyperfocus/special interests out the waazoo, but I didn’t know if this was relevant as that’s also a part of having autism.

• FiveMacs@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 days ago

Does getting diagnosed even do anything other then knowing what you already know?

• Lhianna@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

For ADHD it means you can try medication to help you. For ASD it wouldn’t change anything for me personally so I’m not going to bother.

• FiveMacs@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        17 days ago

But there is no testing for ADHD. It’s just someone agreeing that they also think you have it.

• FiveMacs@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            17 days ago

I can see EEG being something valid, blood tests just seem like body baseline and would have zero bearing on a clinical evaluation.

Either way, glad you had it addressed

• Lhianna@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              17 days ago

Blood tests help to exclude other reasons for symptoms so they absolutely have bearing.

• Senal@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

There are officially recognised tests that potentially lead to officially recognised diagnoses. For ADHD specifically that can lead to access to medication you wouldn’t have without the official diagnosis.

• FiveMacs@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            17 days ago

Must be just Canada then, but my doctor didn’t give a flying shit about diagnosing ADHD. Stated it was clinical and if you feel you have it, good chance you got it. Just threw random steroids at me until something clicked.

• 22hp4maa@lemmy.one
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                16 days ago

Can confirm, they are not. I assume they meant stimulants? I assume “threw random … at me” also actually means “systematically trialled a series of medications until one was found to be sufficiently effective with minimal side effects”.