This page comes from a couple years ago.

So-- clockwise from L, we have my unfinished attempts at the letter “E,” from an illuminated manuscript, one of the industrial fans from my apt-building rooftop, an inflatable cactus creature, and a doodle-space that a couple kids filled in at the local cantina.

At this point I’d switched from watercolor / gouache to straight-up watercolor pencils, mainly due to ease-of-use and declining health. In theory I found watercolor pencils a generally wonderful idea, but one fraught with complications and hardships, such as the reality that, daggit… the color markings one makes with the pencils really want to stay RIGHT where they are despite all the coaxing in the world from wet brush-strokes. Bah…

Still, I’m naught but a noobie when it comes to watercolor pencils, so please do take that as a grain de sel.

The last quarter-sketch (the one the kids did) embarrasses me a little bit and makes me laugh, both. Indeed, if I ever publish my ‘great non-fiction’ bookend, I’m planning on naming it Faces and Phalluses, directly in reference to the super-amazing ability of the human brain to recognise faces and reproductive organs in almost any possible chaos of an image.