• saltesc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    17 days ago

The racial diversity is very valid and important.

If a driver isn’t white, which is a high chance, then it’s very likely the driver is from Bangladesh through to the Middle-East and all the way down into Africa, that we know cop racism from passengers plenty. I struggle to see how they’d quickly form a position of racism themselves, even actually caring enough about indigenous Australians to do so.

It’d be like me moving to Finland and forming a position of racism toward the Sami before I had even learned Finnish fluently, all the while I’m copping racism myself at least once a day from non-Sami people.

I could really only see this happen if the cab company has a wildly effective anti-Sami program, which I wouldn’t understand, but just stuck to for my job.

But now you see the level of wild scenarios and assumptions needed to try validate some truth to the customer’s allegation. It’s not impossible, but it seems highly improbable. Or everyone in Perth really fucking hates Aboriginal Australians.

• Cypher@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

If you think people can only become racist after moving to a majority white nation then boy do I have news for you.

Many of them are racist before they immigrate.