An Italian lorry driver has described the UK’s new post-Brexit controls as a “mess” after his lorry was held at a government-run border post for more than two days.

Antonio Soprano, 62, who was stopped while bringing plants into the country from central Italy, said he was offered nothing to eat during his 55-hour ordeal and instead was told by border officials that he should walk to a McDonald’s more than a mile away to get a meal.

After eventually being released from the Sevington facility in Ashford, Kent, in the early hours of the morning, he was then clamped and had to pay a £185 fine after difficulties finding a place to park in the middle of the night.

It comes just over a month after the government brought in new post-Brexit rules on 30 April, which require some lorries transporting plant and animal goods from the continent to be checked at designated border control posts along the British coast.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

I don’t think I will ever stop being astounded that it was revealed that the Brexit campaign was a big fraud and the British government just said, “oh well, too bad.”

• Rentlar@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 days ago

The news to me is that Tony Soprano got a new gig as a truck driver.

I mean this is what ya voted for, people who wanted Brexit. To keep the foreigners that bring food and stuff to your table out.

• Noxy@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 days ago

To be fair I would be very very very thorough with any truck Tony Soprano is driving

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Antonio Soprano, 62, who was stopped while bringing plants into the country from central Italy, said he was offered nothing to eat during his 55-hour ordeal and instead was told by border officials that he should walk to a McDonald’s more than a mile away to get a meal.

After eventually being released from the Sevington facility in Ashford, Kent, in the early hours of the morning, he was then clamped and had to pay a £185 fine after difficulties finding a place to park in the middle of the night.

It comes just over a month after the government brought in new post-Brexit rules on 30 April, which require some lorries transporting plant and animal goods from the continent to be checked at designated border control posts along the British coast.

Soprano, who speaks no English, said no efforts were made to explain to him what was happening, claiming he was just repeatedly told by officials to wait.

The waiting facilities for drivers consist of a small room with a few tables, with only water provided and no food.

The lorry was held because of concerns about 10 Prunus lusitanica plants in the load, which border officials thought could be carrying harmful pests.

The original article contains 785 words, the summary contains 204 words. Saved 74%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• RubberDuck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 days ago

Who knew that completely rebuilding a capability after having dismantled it almost e tirely would be so difficult.