Hello everyone,

I wanted to share with you (once more) the release of Louvre v2.0.0 (C++ library for building Wayland compositors) #linux .

Demo Video.

Highlights of the new features:

• Screencasting: Now compatible with PipeWire via xdg-desktop-portal-wlr.
  • Session Lock Protocol: Allows for the display of login windows.
  • Layer Shell Protocol: For wallpapers, panels, notifications, etc.
  • New Input Events API: Enhanced with support for touch events, pointer gestures, and pointer constraints.

Release Details.

If there’s any protocol or functionality you would like to see added, please feel free to suggest it or contribute to its development!

• ehopperdietzel@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

Every code path introduces a maintenance burden.

Regarding Xwayland, I think so, but with respect to OpenGL + Vulkan, I don’t see it as that complicated. It’s a matter of configuring contexts and updating Louvre’s higher level APIs for buffer allocation and rendering.

Is super cool, there is a presentation in one of the conferences about it. Architecture is explained somewhere in the docs. Anyway, if you do implement it - this would be a good alternative to https://guacamole.apache.org

Oh, so it basically displays a remote window manager in the browser? For a moment, I thought it was running the compositor directly inside the browser with extensions or something like that, hahaha.

It’s not Microsoft, but actually an open source community running open source forge. Also, it’s way faster to use in browser.

I see. Well, to be honest, I am quite comfortable with GitHub and its features like actions, discussions, etc., and I don’t really care if Microsoft owns it as long as it’s free. But thanks for the suggestion.