So this is Nävis (“NAY-vee”) from my favorite long-form sci-fi series Sillage (“Wake”). It’s about a human girl who was the only survivor of an interstellar ship crash, who grew to adulthood with the help of one surviving robot and a sort of orphaned tiger-cub who grew up alongside her.

Eventually, she’s discovered by the travelling collective “Sillage,” which immediately turns her life upside down, but unexpectedly she proves uniquely valuable to the collective-- her human mind simply can’t be read by the best telepaths in the galaxy, making her primo material as an espionage agent, particularly since she grew up in fairly savage circumstances. It’s all a bit of a super-creative riff on the classic Tarzan formula, I find.

More on the wonderful Sillage / Wake albums:
https://sillage.fandom.com/wiki/Sillage_(comic_series)

Side note: I get the feeling that her bird friend here doubles as a little homage to John diFool’s Deepo!

NOTE ALSO:
I’ve been having some pretty weird problems posting here since I publicly critiqued Lemmy.ML the other day. Let’s assume it’s just a total coincidence for now, but at the moment, it looks like I’m not allowed to share extra images in the body of my posts.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.eeOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 days ago

First of all, thank you for the helpful response!

Altho I love the Internet Archive, my impression is that at best it exists in a distinctly ‘grey area’ of copyright. AFAIK it has not in fact received permission from any of the legal rights-holders to host their content there.

And yes, it’s all very well to (rightfully) claim that it’s the users who did the uploading and that AO will remove any material as requested, that’s not the same thing as being in compliance with copyright law as various rights-holders have themselves claimed, which is why many of them would love nothing more than to shut the AO down.

The real problem on our end is that we don’t want to cause any problems for our host as well as Lemmy, overall. That link you shared is obviously a treasure trove of Sillage albums, but of course it was all scanned and uploaded without copyright permission, and therefore constitutes pirated content virtually to the letter of the law.

OTOH I’m frequently posting copyrighted content myself, but I do try to keep it in the spirit of fair-usage excerpts which generally fit the model of promoting a work without sharing the entire thing… frankly another grey area that might need to be revisited at some point. And you would be absolutely right to point out that I’ve linked to some complete short stories on Imgur that I certainly didn’t have permission to post(!)

In that spirit, I’d say you’d be perfectly fine linking to the first several pages of a Sillage (or whatever) album on Imgur, etc if you wanted to help introduce people to the series. And yes, I get that would probably be a lot more work than you’re interested in, but that’s exactly the kind of thing I frequently do in putting my posts together here…

• hsdkfr734r@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 days ago

Thanks for your reply. I agree with the things you wrote. With an emphasis on: I shouldn’t hurt the ones who host the lemmy instances through carelessness.