• dave@hal9000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

Thanks for sharing the details! I’m gonna check out the video. So if I understand correctly, when you start your VM, it completely takes over video, and you’re not seeing the host desktop at all, but then when you shut down the VM, it returns to your host desktop? So the resulting experience is like dual booting, but a lot faster? I Heard about looking glass, but hadn’t delved into it since I couldn’t even get the igpu to passthrough in the first place (testing with a cable going to another input in my monitor, which AFAIK, would be the part that looking glass solves)

• Vik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

Very welcome! Yes, exactly as you described. The nice thing is that you have greater control over Windows in this virtualized environment, particularly with regards to limiting device and network access.

I gather that display dummy plugs are pretty common in the looking glass community.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 days ago

Ha, I was about to edit to say I watched the video. It’s a pretty smooth transition into the client machine!

• Vik@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 days ago

It’s kind of crazy to me how well it works! It’s hard for me to wrap my head around it sometimes.

My end goal is to not have to eventually not need to use windows at all but I’m still very impressed with how this behaves.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            14 days ago

Yeah, I have one piece of software where I need Windows with a GPU (Fusion 360, got it running on wine once but an update broke it), and my wife needs my PC for Adobe stuff sometimes. I might buy a cheapo used older GPU, I don’t need much since it’s not for gaming. That said, the video showed something that might fix where I got stuck last time trying to pass the integrated GPU, so I’m trying that again. I have a Ryzen 9 with 24 cores, so plenty of juice to go around If that if I can pass the igpu through. Then I could try looking glass and be all set. Thanks for sharing, gave me some hope to try again haha