• boyi@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

First, which part of the world do you work?

For me, it’s more of cultural difference. For Indian cuisine catered for Indian people, they will leave the spices in. But I imagine, in the western world, they will pull them out when served to the westerners, because the westerners are not used to them in their dishes.

For context, consider the inclusion (small) bone in dishes, especially fish. If you go to South East Asian countries, they’ll serve fish with bones intact. But generally westerners are not used to that and will get annoyed and encounter difficulties by small fishbones in their meal. One of the quite possible reason is for the fact that the food will be cooked over a long period of time over heat. Without the bones, the flesh will likely got disintegrated into smaller pieces. And local people in SEA like in Malaysia and Indonesia use their hand when eating rice. So, it’s easier to get rid of the bones compared to those using fork and knife. So having bones in their food is no big deal.

So… it depends on culture. The more you get used to them, the more you understand them.

• ttmrichter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I have to admit the small bones in fish, despite 20 years here, still get to me. Which is why I don’t eat much fish here.

But I don’t take pictures of the fish and try to shame on antisocial media either, so there’s that.