Soft modding is the process of installing Homebrew software on your console to get access to things like emulators, region locked content, online multiplayer and much more.

The general consensus on how to do it is simple:

• Never ever follow video guides, they will probably bring you more problems than actual use
  • Wii.Guide is the most up to date and detailed guide. THIS is the absolute best place to start your soft modding journey
  • TheBiGuy@reddthat.comOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Modding your Wii is defintely worth it. Even without emulation the Wii just has plenty of great Wii and GameCube games to offer you can play locally. Mods like ctgp are also great to spice up some titles like Mkwii

• MrShankles@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

So I ended up not waiting to finish moving, and went ahead and softmodded it last night lol. I got a cheap 32gb SD card and installed the homebrew channel, installed bootmii “as ios”, as well as installed boot2.

So I think I installed BootMii as Boot2 to my SD card, if I’m understanding correctly? (Idk if one overwrites the other or not, I haven’t dug that far into what is actually going on)

Then I made a NAND backup to my SD card as well, and left it at that for now

I am a little confused about if BootMii is installed to the ios or just my SD card. I read:

“BootMii as Boot2 is recommended, but only available to install on early Wii consoles. Otherwise, it can only be installed as an IOS”

I have the first version of the wii that came out, so idk if I should re-do the BootMii/Boot2 install without the SD card inserted, or what “install to ios” actually entails. I kinda just did the basics real quick and saved the NAND file to prevent any “unlikely” bricking of my wii… because I have a little ptsd from my xbox modding that required a LOT of effort and learning to recover it from an “unlikely bricking” that nonetheless happened to me

(I eventually learned that the freaking xbox disc drive died after I soft modded and while attempting to zero my EEPROM. It froze-up, I restarted it, and got an error that was the beginning of a journey to diagnose/repair the issue. Had to zero the EEPROM on the motherboard manually, with a modified 9-pin cable… it was way beyond my scope at the time lmao. But my soldering skills did go from zero to “ok” real quick, and I’ve modded several since then)

But yeah, I did manage to softmod my wii last night. Just a little confused as to where BootMii/Boot2 is installed, if it matters that I have a first version or not, and if I should have it installed differently. But I do have the backup, so I’m at least free to “fuck around and find out”, so to speak lol

Now I just gotta read some more and figure out how to go from my SD card situation to an external hdd. Seems like I would just have to format the hdd and install the BootMii files to it, but idk if that’s exactly correct because of some confusion on my end about Boot2 and where it’s installed/should be on my wii

I’ll definitely take any advice and will be checking back in lol