• foggy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    15 days ago

I am excited. This will break my YouTube addiction.

It’ll only affect me when I need to fix something I’m unfamiliar with, and it’llead creators to using other platforms for that kind of material, and lower the barrier to entry.

I don’t know why Google is shooting themselves in the foot like this. I mean, it’ll be profitable in the short run, yes, but this will almost certainly be devastating to their bottom line in the long run if it works as planned.

• cyberic
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      15 days ago

Have you looked at the Unhooked extension. You can choose to hide recommended videos, which was a game changer for me.

• micka190@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

Disabling my watch history did the trick lol

YouTube’s recommendations are such absolute trash if you turn that off (I’m assuming intentionally, to get you to enable it).

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          15 days ago

Yeah, I love that feature! Disabling watch history makes using Youtube so much more pleasant imo:

• recommendations are related to the video I just watched
          • my home page isn’t filled with shorts and whatnot (I only see them when I search)

So thanks Google for letting me opt out of your BS.

• rwhitisissle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      15 days ago

devastating to their bottom line in the long run if it works as planned.

Google knows their service is addictive and is banking on people being willing to eat an unlimited amount of shit in order to watch a bald man from Vancouver spend 12 minutes talking about his Peloton ride that morning. Realistically, they are probably right. There is no competition to YouTube. Hasn’t been for years. And there probably never will be ever again. Capitalism trends towards natural monopolies as infrastructure and complexity of operations makes startup costs prohibitive.