• rozodru@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    15 days ago

In other news Uber, Lyft, Doordash, and Skip the dishes have all decided to pull out of operations in Canada for some reason.

I’m glad they’re getting paid a minimum wage, but lets be honest it won’t surprise me at all if these companies decide to cease operations here. Which IMHO is a good thing. Their fees are bullshit and would much rather deal with a restaurant directly if i’m ordering food.

edit: yup, called it: Uber says new B.C. gig-worker rules punish customers, businesses they’ll close up shop in BC in the near future I bet.

• blindsight@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 days ago

The new rules aren’t even strong enough; the CRA calculates the mileage rate every year, yet BC is letting companies get away with paying about half the CRA rate. Why? Tips should be just that—a tip, not required so they can cover their vehicle costs.

If people can’t afford to pay minimum wage + mileage, then they shouldn’t get service. Go pick it up yourself, or make a frozen pizza or something. Or take public transit or a (regulated) taxi.

I have some sympathy for those with disabilities who can’t drive and need to deal with abysmal public transit wait times, but their disability doesn’t trump gig workers’ rights to the minimum wage.

• mosscap@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

I mean, if you can afford to pay your workers a living wage, then you can’t afford to field that job in the first place.

Getting rid of a company that pays my neighbor poverty wages is better for my community (and therefore for me), than letting said company keep delivering me a service of convenience while my neighbor can’t afford to buy food.