I’m trying to make minesweeper using rust and bevy, but it feels that my code is bloated (a lot of for loops, segments that seem to be repeating themselves, etc.)

When I look at other people’s code, they are using functions that I don’t really understand (map, zip, etc.) that seem to make their code faster and cleaner.

I know that I should look up the functions that I don’t understand, but I was wondering where you would learn stuff like that in the first place. I want to learn how to find functions that would be useful for optimizing my code.

• Vent@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

I learned that type of stuff in college, so I can’t personally recommend any online sources. However, I can tell you that what you’re looking for falls under “Data Structures and Algorithms”. IIRC my degree required 3 classes with that name. Lots of sorting algorithms in that field since they make great case studies.

You learn the various data structures and algorithms available, their strengths and weaknesses, how they work, when to use them, etc…

You also learn how to measure performance, like Big-O notation, the bane of many a CS student’s existence.