A lack of cultural nostalgia attached to the toy and wariness of the film’s feminist messaging may have kept the Korean audience away from the Hollywood mega-hit: "There is no real fan base for ‘Barbie’ in Korea.”

• icepuncher69@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I think it was intentional, like the undertone is that its all fucked in the end and both sides are wrong in their own way, and it tries to make you think about whatvyou just saw, specially after they make clear that barbie is unsatisfied about all stuff that happened and rather turn into a real person to maybe find meanning, and the gynecologist line is kinda like a middle finger to reality. The power fight betwen sexes while not pointless in a societal way, its rather unfulfilling in a personal level, like stuff doesnt really change as long as the angle is still in the fight of the sexes, and both sides are capable of the same shit while in power, and its more fault of the hierchical sistem in itself (capitalism) rather that if men or women are running it. But ofcourse its not gonna be upront about it since the barbie brand sells empowerement to women, not revolution, nd empowerment means perpetuating the status quo, just under new mannagement. In its self aware angle the movie kindda remminded me of deadpool, and while i like most of the humor, i get why some people wouldnt like it that much for that (besides the “ugh feminism” croud of dumbasses) the only scene where i think it was cringe was the one where they say “note to the filmakers margot robie cute blah blah blah”, it felt very tryhard. Or at least thats my take on it