• ayaya@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 days ago

Yeah there are like 5 monitors with full array local dimming, most being $500+ except for that one AOC. And OLEDs are still $700+ and have burn-in after a year of desktop use.

• Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        13 days ago

I mean, I don’t have to say there are more than five, right? We all know this is hyperbole?

I just typed it into Amazon and the cheapest one is $290. It doesn’t have full array dimming, but neither does the one use. The one I use looks incredible compared to non-hdr.

• ayaya@lemdro.id
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          13 days ago

Yes it’s an exaggeration but it’s not far off. The one for $290 is the aforementioned AOC.

This isn’t a perfect list but pcpartpicker only has 15 monitors with HDR1000 or higher with one being a duplicate so it’s actually 14. If you remove the HDR filters there’s 773 monitors.

That means only 14 out of 773 monitors support HDR properly. And that doesn’t even mean they’re good, just that they support it.

And oops I should have specified 27 inches or under, that is my bad. 27 inches is what I was shopping for recently. Personally I actually prefer 24 inches but they pretty much stopped making good 24 inch ones.

• Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 days ago

I accidentally got one because I needed a good one for creative work. When I turned this on… Holy shit guys, it’s insane.

I have an HDR TV that is garbage, too. But my monitor using HDR makes games look absolutely beautiful. This was 5 years ago, too… I bet they get so much better now.