I use an AMD card, playing on Bazzite. How and when, do i know when its best to use Vulkan or Directx on linux?

• narc0tic_bird@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    14 days ago

I’ll go against what most comments said and recommend DirectX 11. Yes, DXVK will translate it to Vulkan anyway, but Larian’s own Vulkan implementation is definitely less stable compared to DX11.

I’ve experienced multiple crashes during simple things like opening the character sheets using the tab key, or crafting alchemy potions. I never had a single crash using DX11. I used Fedora 39/40 and openSUSE Tumbleweed, so the kernels were fairly recent. Radeon 7800 XT GPU.

I had the same experience under Windows 10 (before I switched to Linux), Vulkan has smoother frametimes but DX11 is more stable.

YMMV, this is just my experience from almost 400 hours played so far.

• Senseless@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 days ago

Agreed. Even though I have a nvidia card which might be the cause of some issues due to the drivers. Had some crashes using vulkan but none using dx.

• CarlosCheddar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

This happened to me when playing Hades a few years ago, choosing DirectX was faster and more stable than Vulkan when using Proton.

• Molecular0079@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 days ago

They borked the Vulkan Renderer somewhere around Patch…3 I think? It used to be so performant, but now it runs only at 40-60fps on my Nvidia 3090 compared to the DX11 renderer which can render at 80-120 T_T