link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    14 days ago

The only kind of scaling I am okay with is how new enemy types will only start appearing after level X. You still feel like you’re getting powerful, but at the same time you start getting slightly more challenging enemies sprinkled in. However you only really need this in non-linear games where you expect and encourage the player to go anywhere they want instead of having complete control over the progression and how things ramp up.

Like Fallout New Vegas and 4 do. Though even those could be a bit better.

• withabeard@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

Na… Honestly

Baldurs gate and bgII had an open world where you could go anywhere. Go to certain places early game, you’d get hard fucked up. Go there later, you could make progress.

I loved the feeling of getting more powerful and that was what unlocked more of the game.

• kurcatovium@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

The best example of this is any game from Piranha bytes. Especially first Gothic was prime example. You’re such a piece of sht at the beginning that every single even the most basic creature will give you hard time killing it or will smash you with one hit in case of stronger ones.

But as you level up and get better gear things will change drastically. Even couple levels or stronger weapon will enable you to progress to new part of map, because now you’re able to finally kill the pack of wild flies guarding the passage.

Few levels later you can even go through forest without constant fear of wolf attack. And at the end you smash shadowbeasts like it’s nothing… This feels awesome and that’s what level scaling absolutely ruins.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        14 days ago

It’s the mostly same for the games I mentioned, it’s just incredibly easy to become OP in them so it’s not that hard of a roadblock and it still scales enemies beyond just adding in new types. NV has static leveled areas and FO4 spawns more difficult enemies the further away you move from Sanctuary. You can go anywhere right at the start, but you’re not gonna have an easy time fighting dearhclaws and cazadores at level 1.

• Oni_eyes@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

I still recall putting dark souls down for a solid couple months after being frustrated that I couldn’t beat the area after the first boss.

Because my dumbass thought that I was supposed to go through the graveyard with all the skeletons and got my shit handed to me repeatedly. Honestly made me love the game more when I realized there was a little path up to the right to go to the actual next area…

• Paradachshund@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

I like this way too, as long as they don’t make every area start at the same easy level. It’s fun to find places you can’t do yet. I think the new enemies thing works even better if it’s more like they start to show up in areas you previously cleared out, rather than appearing in places you haven’t been yet.