• Vik@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 days ago

Wouldn’t it have been better to compare the water consumption of farming beef with annother protein source like beans, lentils etc?

• jerkface@lemmy.caM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

It would be more convincing but it would not be more meaningful. If you only ate potatoes and you got enough calories, you would be getting enough protein. The whole idea of a “protein source” being a nutritionally significant concept is bogus. If anything, you want to moderate your protein.

• Vik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

I don’t know, it seems sort of arbitrary comparing a high protein source with an all rounder, and the water requirements for producing lentils (whilst substantially higher than potatoes) is still significantly lower than for beef. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some taters and lentils.

As for proteins nutritional significance, wouldn’t depend on your lifestyle and dietary requirements?

• jerkface@lemmy.caM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

I think it seems sort of arbitrary to classify foods by protein content as though it were critical to our nutrition. Like, we could classify foods by colour and then get concerned when we don’t have enough purple food, and track how much purple per calorie or gram we get for each food, and publish charts on that basis, but it wouldn’t be telling anyone anything they can actually use, no matter how much they might be concerned about getting enough purple. But the fashion might become, “you need purple food to have big muscles,” and then people start thinking that charts that aren’t arranged by colour are comparing arbitrarily different things.

I know it sounds pretty wild and fringe, but have you ever seen or even heard of someone ever suffering from the consequences of insufficient protein in their diet who wasn’t also suffering a massive calorie deficit? Every fitness store in the world sells protein, protein, protein, but they also sell a hundred other kinds of bunk. Have you ever heard someone say, “Wow, adding this protein REALLY increased my gains!” This space is really vulnerable to snake oil.

All our favorite health-based researchers tell us that the protein goals specified by body building culture are wildly beyond what the body actually uses.

• Vik@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 day ago

Maybe I’m just conditioned to approach this like a utilitarian; I’ll think about rough macros for my meals. I’ll load up for legs, back & deadlift etc but I won’t just go full send on spuds, (much as I love them).

I’ll put my body though a lot every week, I can feel a difference between an ‘ample’ and less than optimal protein intake.

Not to say that I don’t deeply appreciate the significance of decent carbs to fuel that exercise (rice, oats, potatoes etc).

• moroni@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

Comparison generated by AI:

Food Liters of Water per 1 kg Protein per 1 kg Liters of Water per gram of Protein
      Beef 15,415 liters 200 g 77 liters
      Chicken 4,325 liters 310 g 14 liters
      Pork 5,988 liters 270 g 22 liters
      Lentils ~4,177 liters 250 g 17 liters
      Beans 5,053 liters 230 g 22 liters
      Potatoes ~264 liters 20 g 13 liters