That one on the left looks super useful.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    15 days ago

Yeah, but think about actually using a rock that thin as a knife. We’re not talking galvanized steel here. You could use it for what, one cut? And hope that works before it breaks into pieces?

• Maalus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 days ago

Obsidian scalpels are used in medicine successfully, they’re ridiculously sharp. I’m not a rockalogist to say it would or wouldn’t have been useful tho

• SpacetimeMachine@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

They’re also very delicate. Not to say obsidian isn’t/wasn’t used for cutting tools, but afaik they were thicker and just knapped on the edge.

• Maven (famous)@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

Obsidian is a very special rock made under special circumstances. When I hear someone say “made of rock” I think of rocks I would find anywhere and not obsidian.

So yeah rock based knives are useful but if you only include common rock types I imagine they would probably suck or have to be sharpened constantly.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          15 days ago

Flint is what’s used and it was everywhere. Even made some as a kid when we were bored.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        15 days ago

That rock is not obsidian. It doesn’t look like flint to me either when I look up images of flint. So, again, looks way too flimsy to be a tool.

It’s not like sandstone and granite have the same hardness because they’re both rocks.

• tiredofsametab@kbin.run
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

Assuming it’s an actual old tool, my bet would be more scraper than knife. However, taking things out of their archaeological context and stratigraphic placement and/or manufacturing fakes kinda ruins all of the everything.