• audiomodder@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 days ago

It seems weird to me that they would measure a thruster in maximum speed and not by the force is generates. Doesn’t the maximum speed depend on the mass it is propelling and a bunch of other factors like friction and gravity?

• PflaumeKordel@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

This speed is the Specific Impulse which is a measure of how effective the fuel mass is used. It is equivalent to the effective exhaust velocity, which is basically the mean exhaust velocity as the real exhaust velocity depends on the position in the exhaust. The specific impulse is more often given in seconds like in the Wikipedia page for the thruster and this representation is connected to the speed-based representation by dividing the effective exhaust velocity by the standard gravitational acceleration at sea level. Mass is not present in both of these representations because this way they are the impulse per unit mass of propellant.

Electric thrusters reach very high exhaust velocities, but the fuel mass flow is limited which leads to low thrust. Chemical engines reach high thrust, but their exhaust velocities are quite low in comparison.

• MonkderDritte@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      12 days ago

No, that is the time to maximum speed. Maximum speed depends solely on exhaust speed (how fast the particles get accelerated).

And no friction in space. Well, almost none.

What’s weird is that they say km/h. Space and rocket stuff is usually in m/s.

• wisha@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        12 days ago

The grandparent comment is correct. There is no such thing as engine-specific “maximum speed”. If you add more fuel, you can always go faster (until the speed of light).

• NoSpotOfGround@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          12 days ago

Even “until the speed of light” has a caveat (hear me out). Would you call getting from A to B in 1 hour on your watch instead of 2 as “faster”? If your answer is yes, then there’s no limit to how “fast” you can go. You could get from here to the Andromeda Galaxy in one minute. It’s just that for the Andromeda and the Milky Way a LOT more time would have passed.

• Eheran@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 days ago

You are incorrect. If I am traveling at 90 % speed of light, take a stone and throw it out the back… I am now faster.