• dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

None, because seeing a four minute unskippable ad halfway through a two minute video would make me go apoplectic.

• accideath@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 days ago

And soon probably everywhere unless you pay, because YouTube is testing server side ad injection, so they’d be part of the main video stream.

• x4740N@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            12 days ago

Not from the US but I’m pretty sure the ftc requires ads be disclosed and if the company isn’t doing it you have to report it to the ftc for some stupid reason if I recall correctly

So iirc that might be a legal loophole which allows adblockers to work

• accideath@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              12 days ago

They can definitely inject the ad into the video stream on the server side and still correctly classify it as ad. Some other platforms already do that. From my own experience, many podcasts monetize like that. The ads get injected by their distributors. Leads to German ads before English speaking podcasts, if you stream them from Germany. However, their ads are skippable. Wouldn’t be surprised if YouTube somehow made that impossible, too.

• lad@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              12 days ago

I can’t see how they will not be able to properly disclose the ad, they will just do that without breaking a videostream, and in a most machine unfriendly way they can come up with. It’s going to be like captcha but saying “this is an ad”

• systemglitch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          12 days ago

It’s been about a year since I had an ad on mobile. It takes about a minute to set it up so you don’t see them.

I was being a smart ass, but it was a lead in to let you know you have the option to be ad free.

• Baku@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          12 days ago

I haven’t seen a YouTube ad on my phone since about 2021, thanks to the magic of Vanced and later ReVanced. Sounds like a skill issue on your end ngl

• Etterra@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 days ago

What the hell makes you think YouTube employees have to watch the ads themselves?

• lad@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 days ago

Some definitely have, as they test and implement it. But the point was that the user stopped watching YT because of ads, not that YT will not