• Dave@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 days ago

GoG does DRM free, and not just old games. Not many new AAA because convincing a big company to sell their game DRM free is hard, but Baldur’s Gate 3 is on there.

• Kazumara
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 days ago

And of course the ones they (i.e. CD Projekt Red) make themselves. The Witcher series, including Gwent spinoffs, and Cyberpunk 2077

• Dave@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 days ago

Yeah, and lots of new popular indie games. Some recent oneish I’ve got are DREDGE, Rimworld and Stardew Valley. OK not super recent but not all the games are 20 years old or more. Even Skyrim Anniversary is on there.

• ulterno@lemmy.kde.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 days ago

Yeah, I recently bought X4, which is so badly implemented (at least on Linux) that it gives the same FPS (in the 30s) on Low settings as it does on Ultra.

I even went ahead and bought a new GPU just for that and hardly see a difference, even being suspicious of there being a miner in it.

Fun game nonetheless.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 days ago

Wait, so all I had to do was disable my underclock and I would have gotten the same marginal perf gains that I got by upgrading both my CPU and GPU?

Will Egosoft hire me if I offer to refactor their code into something multithread friendly?

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  7 days ago

I mean if you’re german you could try working for them lol

That seems to be the main barrier, yeah.

But I checked htop while running the game and it doesn’t seem to be doing all single core stuff as you said. Unless it is that the bottlenecking thread is not even using the available core to the full extent.
                  I checked it out with both linux and linux-zen kernels.

Usually, when a program is loading on a single thread, you tend to see a single core go to 100% for a few seconds, which then jumps around as the OS switches the core provided to the thread. That was not happening here.
                  Also, the new GPU is sometimes at ~60-70% while the FPS is dropping to 30. This part was weird.

• Lets_Eat_Grandma@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    5 days ago

All I know is what many have said time and time again. There is one main thread that everything else depends on, so no matter how much horsepower you throw at it you are constrained by whatever logic or calculation that one thread is doing.

For all I know it’s a memory bandwidth thing or even a disk access thing pertaining to that one thread which makes everything else wait. They use their own homegrown engine and there’s a bottleneck in the code somewhere, obviously.

I’m kind of surprised they don’t have something that’s more scalable because they built a new engine for X:Rebirth which came out in 2013. Maybe they started the engine rebuild before dual core and quad core cpus were mainstream in the late 2000s.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

I’m waiting for BG3 to make a Linux thingy. Until then, it’'s on the “maybe” list.

If it’s not native on Linux, it needs to be exceptionally good for me to buy it, considering GoG doesn’t have regional pricing.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 days ago

I’m playing BG3 on Linux on a laptop with integrated graphics, and I haven’t had any issues other than not being able to run it with graphics set to ultra (expected since there’s not graphics card).

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

Having a hard time understanding what low income, sales price, and AI have to do with Valve.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 days ago
          1. The license is for the content of the post. Here, I put a separator.
          2. Valve has regional pricing, making some games cost a tenth of the price in some regions. GoG does not, so you pay the US price.
          • e.g. I bought X4 for ~4x the price of Average AAA console games.
          • Though, in case of X4, it seems to have a similar price on Steam, most games tend to be cheaper with regional pricing.

And now I forgot to put a license on this one.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 days ago

Don’t use the dumb footer link. It doesn’t do anything other than make sure everyone else points and laughs. You’re better than that.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              9 days ago

What’s the problem with some laughter.

If there’s nothing to laugh at, people usually pick a loner, harass them until they are angry/miserable and then laugh at them.

I’d rather, they laugh at this, which might also throw a wrench in the works of companies trying to get data without sifting through it properly.

Anti Commercial-AI license

Wouldn’t it be even more fun if the AI chatbot got trained on this and started spewing out Anti Commercial-AI license in their results?

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 days ago

which might also throw a wrench in the works of companies trying to get data without sifting through it properly.

Narrator: It has no effect at all.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

Well, KDE Clipboard seems to make it easy enough for me for now, but perhaps I will set a compose key for it if required.

My main problem tends to be forgetting to add it because I got too emersed in typing the comment.

And it’s kinda useless to add it after the fact, so most of the time, it works because I copy the license first.

CC BY-NC-SA