It’s an older article, but the point stands!

• saltesc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Because, in a car, it’s a lot harder to get out of shit going down on the highway. Pile ups, blind merges, etc. On a bike it’s easy to give yourself all the space and time to evade and keep going while carnage ensues in the mirrors. Most of the time you just use the shoulder to go around or pull up safely away from it all. Bikes are real easy to do evasive maneuvers on, whereas trying in a car usually results in people spinning or going sideways. You don’t often emergency brake riding on a highway, it’s usually just going to where the cars aren’t fucking up and powering away if needed. Still stop though just in case something had happened or need to share helmet cam footage.

In my country, the majority of motorcycle casualties not involving the rider being at fault, are intersections and motorists failing to give way. Almost all over highway speed are single-vehicle, so just the motorcyclist likely being reckless/speeding.

• pjhenry1216@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

You keep saying the problematic times for motorcycles are the same problematic times for cars. I mean, there’s still no statistic to even back your claim other than a feeling plus a really overly defined and restrictive scenario that doesn’t exist in the real world. All highways have merges. And cars can just slam into a motorcycle without warning if they don’t see them. It’s one of the main causes of accidents.

• saltesc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Don’t assume statistics are made up, “feels”, or non-existent when someone uses them. My statistics are from a research publication on national motorcycle safety by one of the world’s top universities here, though it’s not hard to look up the stats which is their base data for the publication. Which is why I also did that with publicly released statistics and insights from a state government’s road department—which obviously say the same tjing, but always go with two sources just in case. I only bothered to do that to load on top of my aforementioned experience as a long-distance rider and driver, but obviously it’s silly to just go with that if I want to avoid some idiot online, because my own 12 years riding wouldn’t be enough. You’d note I also kept reference to my part of the world as that’s where the statistics and my experience are from and I can’t speak for every country or state, especially those with outlier regulation that may see statistics that are higher or lower outliers to one of arithmetic means.

And, obviously, it also refutes your outlandish claim that being merged into on a highway is one of the main causes of accidents. To explain how stupid that is to a non-rider is futile. If you are a rider—holy shit that’s a concern—stop. You shouldn’t be allowed on public roads if cars merging toward you is stressful or challenging. Fuck knows what’ll happen when you have to do a U-turn, switch directions counter-steerimg, or deal with compression lock from downgearing way too prematurely—the basics.

• pjhenry1216@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

What stats? You didn’t provide any. And I was repeating your claim about merging on a highway. You said it was the only real issue. What the fuck is going on?

• saltesc@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Yikes. I think we’ve found your issue. I mean, I won’t be surprised if you haven’t.

May the luck you’ve had so far in life continue.