• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 days ago

I miss my bouldering gym so much. It was always a great vibe there and people from all skill levels could climb together, chat, help each other out. Any time I went intending to climb alone I still ended up chatting and making friends because so many people are just friendly and happy to be there

Where I moved to has a proper climbing gym but it isnt the same vibe.

• dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 days ago

I have a question. Would age be at all a factor in the vibe? How about acute arthritis and being a newbie? I wouldn’t expect to just “fit in” immediately, but I’m left wondering if a slower middle-aged dude would have a hard time hanging with that crowd.

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 days ago

I’ve climbed with 10 year olds and 80 year olds. Ive climbed with people who could climb 8 hours straight and those who can only do a few routes a day. So long as you have a good attitude, climb safely and respect others you will likely fit in fine at your local climbing gym.

• Ledivin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

You’ll be fine, rock gyms tend to be a super welcoming place, regardless of age or experience. Things like arthritis and age will affect your ability, sure, but not enough to prevent you from doing it at all - you just might not be able to go as often or for as long as others 🤷‍♂️