• s38b35M5@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 days ago

And here I am, divorced and never marrying again, lucky to be dating the same girl for eight years. And then there’s that one day every few years where she runs out of her meds and begins believing I’m plotting against her when I ask how her mom is doing that I think, “I’m super glad I didn’t get married again so I can just walk away if this shit lasts more than a few days.”

That’s love. Staying with someone, not because you’re married and a divorce is a huge legal hassle, but because they haven’t freaked all the way the fuck out yet.

PS, make friends with your pharmacist, fellow BPSOs. Make sure they keep those mood stabilizers and antipsychotic in stock.

• snooggums@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 days ago

“I’m super glad I didn’t get married again so I can just walk away if this shit lasts more than a few days.”

I’m glad you didn’t get remarried too.

• lesbian_seagull@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 days ago

To be honest, I think it’s pretty natural for this type of thought to pop in anyone’s head. It’s a fuckin lot to care for yourself, let alone another adult person going through mental crisis for an indeterminate amount of time. I should imagine we’d all ponder leaving. The important bit is whether you act on it or not.

• snooggums@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 days ago

Walking away after a few days is extremely quick for a long term relationship. If they had said anything longer, like a few weeks, or even just said that they like having the option to just walk away without going through another divorce if the person isn’t able to get back on track I wouldn’t have commented.

• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 days ago

I can’t speak for them but having been in similar situations in a long term relationship I’m sure they didn’t mean a few days literally. Especially knowing it’s due to an issue with medication, that takes time to sort itself out. A few days in terms of getting back on track could be anywhere from a week to a month or two depending on safety concerns and severity of symptoms. I could be totally wrong too, that’s just my unsolicited opinion on the matter haha

• WillFord27@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

Yep. They were probably joking, or at the least exaggerating, but it reminds me of how a large percentage of men would leave their partner going through a medical crisis. Not all medical crisises are physical, yo.

• Tyfud@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

FWIW, I never thought I’d remarry either.

It could happen if you meet the right person and want to share your life with them. Took us close to 8 years of dating before we got married.

Super small wedding, total of 7 people invited. I kept waiting for the “other shoe to drop” with her, but it never did, and then I realized she’s the real deal, and I could commit with her without some dark side of her personality showing up or her getting run off to the hills with my issues.

Anyhow, maybe it doesn’t work for you, and it sounds like maybe not with your current GF with the mental health issues.

Wishing you guys all the best regardless, just wanted to let you know I was pretty much in the same camp until a couple years ago after my previous marriage ended almost 15 years ago.