• Quintus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

Seriously. Why the hell is the guy’s face in there anyway? I would understand if it was Nvidia’s logo that was large as hell. I imagine it might be to tell his followers “it’s me” but whatever.

• Björn Tantau@swg-empire.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 days ago

Unfortunately it has been proven that putting a stupid human face into the thumbnail makes your audience much bigger. It would be nice if YouTube had a “show stupid face” option.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 days ago

Because humans love faces. We love looking at them, we love seeing them. Our brains are wired to handle facial recognition very well and be drawn to faces.

In fact, the effect is so strong that we often see faces where none exist

People being drawn to faces has led to thumbnails with faces on getting far more attention. Tbh, if you were trying to make a YT channel your job, it’s very likely you’d start doing it too, you’d be actively sabotaging yourself for the sake of pride otherwise.

• Deckweiss@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 days ago

Well, I hate human faces on youtube video thumbnails.

I want to see a preview of the content instead of being biologically exploited into clicking on it.

For anyone who feels the same way: https://dearrow.ajay.app/

• cheezits@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 days ago

You’re saying it’s biological exploitation? So do you have a dog? Do you play fetch with it? Or is that biological exploitation? Is it biological exploitation for food companies to monopolize on our taste buds? Just curious where you are getting these ridiculous claims. You do know that you can mouse over a video to get a preview of the content, right? Look up the definition and purpose of a YouTube thumbnail. Tell me what you find.

• Deckweiss@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 days ago

Is it biological exploitation for food companies to monopolize on our taste buds?

Yes. Thats the only reason why there is so much sugar in everything. Which is rather unhealthy, but we keep eating it because sugar makes us want it.

• cheezits@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 days ago

Because its proven to generate more views, why do people criticize the guy for trying to make a living? Literally every other big youtuber does this… Its effective. I do not understand why people hate someone for complying to an industry norm. Do you also hate real estate agents for putting their smiling face on billboards? Lol.

• ancap shark@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 days ago

Totally agree. The content may be good, but title and thumbnail are marketing only. A silly thumbnail doesn’t make the content worse, so nothing wrong in the creator trying to use it as a way to increase their reach