I recently came across openSUSE again and decided to give it a try this time. I am daily driving Fedora 40 right now and before coming across openSUSE I wanted to switch to Fedora Kinoite or uBlue Aurora (i.e., immutable / atomic). That’s why MicroOS piqued my interest but I had a hard time find information if MicroOS is suitable for daily driving as a atomic desktop or mainly used for a container host on a server.

If someone has personal experience with openSUSE or could link me to a nice write up comparing the two I would be very thankful!

Edit:

In the MicroOS portal it is described like this:

Rolling Release: Every new openSUSE Tumbleweed snapshot also automatically produces a new openSUSE MicroOS release.

• ElectricMachman@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

MicroOS is designed as a server OS first and foremost, but I have read some anecdotes of people using it just fine on the desktop.

You might want to look into OpenSUSE Aeon or Kalpa instead, which are immutable editions designed for the desktop, running GNOME and KDE respectively. Kalpa is in alpha (almost rhymed) but Aeon is in a more mature state.

• theorangeninja@lemmy.todayOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

Thank you very much! I read about those. Maybe it’s time to try out GNOME again, I don’t want to use a too early version of an OS. Altough I fell in love with KDE, especially KRunner!