If you ever wanted to read about fake druids vs. environmental activists, now’s your chance.

• Blackbeard@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

And therein lies the problem with today’s generations. Instead of doing the hard work of getting involved in civic groups and local politics in order to mobilize voters and enact real, substantive change, we’re taking the short cut by spraying shit on the walls so no one can talk about anything else.

You made my point very succinctly, so thanks for that.

• Killing_Spark@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

Oh I see we are at the “this generation is lazy” level of discussion. Have a nice day.

• Blackbeard@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 days ago

I’d say spraying colored powder on archeological sites and art galleries instead of getting involved in civic action to enact societal and economic change counts as lazy, yes.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 days ago

I mean how do you know that this “instead of” is factual and isn’t in reality a “additionally to”?

• Blackbeard@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 days ago

Their website. It’s a string of performative, attention-seeking destruction, peppered with the rare “letter to party leaders” or “disrupted” public event.

It’s clear as day.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 days ago

It’s possible to be a part of multiple organisations. Just because someone is part of JSO that doesn’t mean they can’t also be active in other groups. Highly motivated people like these tend to do that. It also makes sense to not lump these efforts under one name so that the public messaging doesn’t get muddied.

• Blackbeard@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 days ago

The number of people described in those news articles that have been arrested, imprisoned, or spent months in court fighting charges, tells me they’re spending more time in the judicial system than participating with other civic groups. The two protestors who painted Stonehenge are currently behind bars, so I’d say that cuts into their grassroots organizing time, wouldn’t you?

It also makes sense to not lump these efforts under one name so that the public messaging doesn’t get muddied.

The public messaging is that people painted Stonehenge. I’d say the clarity of their messaging is exactly the topic currently up for debate.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  7 days ago

I won’t speculate on how much energy they are able to put into other efforts because I don’t have any actual experience with the judicial system. A few days behind bars are not enough to stop one from participating though.

The public messaging is that people painted Stonehenge. I’d say the clarity of their messaging is exactly the topic currently up for debate.

Now imagine this was a group that also engages in constructive participation. Suddenly the messaging of that group would be very messy, full of misunderstandings. Instead of this they do activism that will not be favourable in the public opinion under that specific organisation where it won’t hurt the constructive efforts.

• Blackbeard@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    7 days ago

I won’t speculate on how much energy they are able to put into other efforts because I don’t have any actual experience with the judicial system. A few days behind bars are not enough to stop one from participating though.

If “a few days” is all you think we’re talking about, you need to read the news releases on their website more closely…

Now imagine this was a group that also engages in constructive participation.

They don’t. I just showed that they don’t, and that’s coming from someone who does constructive environmental engagement both at the grassroots and governmental level. My wife and I have dedicated our entire lives to environmental protection, and what these dipshits are doing is not constructive and makes the rest of us look like morons.

Suddenly the messaging of that group would be very messy, full of misunderstandings. Instead of this they do activism that will not be favourable in the public opinion under that specific organisation where it won’t hurt the constructive efforts.

They’re using a front group because they know it will run afoul of public opinion and won’t be constructive??? Do you hear yourself right now? I’m telling you that you’re making a very convincing argument about why these tactics are such a waste of oxygen. They “stop us from talking about anything else” and “hurt the constructive efforts” because they’re unpopular. They’re accomplishing nothing except pissing people off and attracting attention away from more constructive endeavors. Surely you see that you’re supporting my argument.