• Buffalox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

we can and do say fuck without any problem.

Not on public TV you can’t. Beep beep beep Fucking idiots.

• orclev@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 days ago

You can, most networks just decide not to. Broadcast TV (which hasn’t really existed for I think more than a decade now) had restrictions about swearing (and other content) enforced by the FCC as it used a public good (RF bands). Cable TV (and now streaming services) are and pretty much have always been unregulated.

TV Networks, being companies trying to make money, opt to self censor so as to appeal to the largest number of viewers, but that isn’t anything to do with the government, it’s 100% a business decision.

• orclev@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

Yeah that entire article basically agreed with everything I said. Technically broadcast TV does have some limitations enforced by the FCC (because it uses radio to transmit) even to this day, but broadcast TV is basically dead. I actually thought they had shut those stations down a few years ago, but I guess they’re still around. Regardless there are absolutely no government regulations that control what’s shown on cable and streaming services. 100% of censorship that occurs there is a business decision by the TV Networks and has absolutely nothing to do with the government.