I had some wheel made but when they rotate they come in contact with the disc break pads (slightly).

The bikeshop that built them will take another month to look at this, as they are fully booked, and I dont want to pay 35+ on another bikeshop…

Is it doable to DIY this with a spoke key and using the fork as a stand?

(I think it would be a useful skill to learn as it will make me less dependent on bikeshops)

• j4k3@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

Disc brakes should not be affected by wheel truing. Those are not related problems. If you have rim brakes then it will be an issue, but not discs.

Truing wheels is not hard. A bike stand helps a while lot. I build and true my own wheels on the bike, with the bike in a portable stand.

Disc brake problems can be tricky. The disc itself can be trued with bending.

• j4k3@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

The rim is positioned by the spokes, but the hub is constrained by the bearings and dropouts. It is a rigid member. The rotor disc is attached to the hub directly.

Disc brakes are not easy to setup and get them right. I’m a hardcore roadie from back before disc brakes were a thing for road. I also have a top shelf mountain enduro bike that has disc brakes. While I work on all of my own road stuff, I avoid working on fork/shock internals and disc brakes. I’ve worked in several bike shops and I always pay the mechanics to setup my disc brakes. I’ve learned the hard way of having the annoying things make tons of noise and problems.

There is a Park Tool rotor truing tool that they use to tweak the positioning of the rotor by bending it slightly. It is difficult to tweak them right without making the problem worse. Here is the tool used with a special jig on a truing stand that allows more accurate adjustment without turning the thing into a wavy piece of junk: