What’s your favourite to use? Mine is Fish due to its ease of use and user friendly approach.

Bash is the pepperoni of shell tools being reliable in every field no matter what but I’ve moved to Fish as I wanted to try something different.

So what’s your shell of choice?

• Nibodhika@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

Never used PowerShell, so I didn’t know that it was available for Linux nor open source, since from a quick search both of them seem to be true I guess there’s no real reason since both are described very similarly.

• laurelraven@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

I’ll probably give it a spin anyway, might be I find some benefit and it looks like an interesting project. Being Rust based instead of C# .NET based could theoretically make it a lot faster (though I’ve not really had an issue of speed in PowerShell)

• zaubentrucker@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

It’s indeed a lot like powershell, but I found it to be much less painful to use for everyday tasks. I can’t really put my finger on it, but powershell always felt very clunky and unpredictable to use. With Nushell, I can write pipelines that usually have the desired behavior on the first try. Also, its more convenient in so many different aspects that I can’t go back anymore.

The biggest downside is, that it hasn’t had a stable release yet. While I haven’t encountered any bugs yet, there are often breaking changes with new releases that may break your scripts.

• Nibodhika@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

Like I said, never used PowerShell, but yeah, nushell pipes are very intuitive, I’ve been only using it for a short time but was already able to do very interesting pipes with minor effort

• laurelraven@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

Yeah, PowerShell does do things that don’t exactly make sense without having some understanding of the underlying dotnet and what the components actually do