• anticolonialist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 days ago

And when SCOTUS strikes down Obergefell and/or Loving we can see how bad Biden and Co fucked us with the Respect For Marriage Act.

• jeffw@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 days ago

Yes, let’s see how bad they screwed us with… codifying gay marriage into our laws??

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

By making it a states rights issue where individual states can refuse to issue licenses if the clerk doesn’t want to

• BrianTheeBiscuiteer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 days ago

What are you talking about?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respect_for_Marriage_Act

… signed into law by President Joe Biden. It repeals the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), requires the U.S. federal government and all U.S. states and territories (though not tribes) to recognize the validity of same-sex and interracial civil marriages in the United States…

It stopped short of requiring any and all states to perform same-sex marriage but it was a definite improvement over existing law. As always I’m sure they held back on a full guarantee of a right to marriage because a handful of “moderate” Democrats refused to support it otherwise. I hope history records Manchin and Sinema as doing measurable harm to our country.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 days ago

I’m not defending anyone, I’m calling out the bullshit law that’s in place. It’s the law itself that will allow discrimination when SCOTUS strikes down Obergefell. Fucking Democrats did that to us.

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 days ago

This is 100% not true, and people have already shown you sources proving it yesterday. I know you hate losing a reason to hate liberals, but you’re just gonna have to accept that you were wrong about this one, kiddo. Either grow up, or leave this to the adults.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                4 days ago

Im not losing to reason, Im battling cult of personality bias.

Has there ever been a single person that democrats disagree with they didnt try to infantilize, or is the narcissism too deep?