• Fredselfish@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Wonder if there a way bring any of these types of services back and be affordable? Like the part of chatting with older people. There are lots of old people in this world who would love to have some to talk with.

• erwan@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

GOOG-411 was created specifically for Google to gather voice samples, with different ages, accents, etc. to train voice recognition. It was never for the sake of providing a service.

• IphtashuFitz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

Ask Jeeves was a “question answering service” back then. They had a staff of human editors who curated answers to popular questions. Nothing they answered back then was done via search.

Source: I worked for a search engine startup in the 90’s that was acquired by Ask Jeeves when they realized they needed a true search technology since human editing wasn’t scalable.

• Matengor@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

I didn’t even know about these services. It’s fascinating they were relevant for about ten years only. What a good read.

• Lmaydev@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 days ago

We did this for a friend’s birthday at uni. There were about 20 of us. Great night haha

I used to love texting these numbers when drunk.