link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 days ago

Well that isn’t the fault of Flathub. If a country or organization blocks it that’s a local issue. This is especially true in China where they need to control the movement of information. Blaming flathub and Flatpak for censorship is frankly unfair.

Just to be clear I do not support Chinese Authoritarianism

• biribiri11@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

I’m not sure if anyone said it was the fault of flathub. My point is that, regardless of fault, accessibility to the main instance is an issue for several reasons, and a good way to solve it is to build a system for mirrors.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 days ago

Your bypassing restrictions that could get you in trouble. Tor is the right answer in that case. However, bypassing restrictions can have dire consequences.

• biribiri11@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

There are existing mirrors for Fedora and Ubuntu packages in China, which are used because mirrors in other countries are often blocked. I’m sure there are no legality issues—the issue in the case of flatpak and china in particular is that China blocks Fastly because Fastly does not host any POPs in China. This is why Cloudflare, for example, has their own network in China that international users can pay to use. There’s no legal issues here, just logistical. Besides, as previously shown, people do (with great difficulty) managed to bring up their own flatpak mirror without any consequences for a few years now.

Besides, there shouldn’t be legality issues for businesses wanting to host their own mirrors for compliance issues.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            6 days ago

I just think Flathub shouldn’t get involved with Chinese attacks on human rights. The Chinese version of things lack proper encryption and are heavily censored. You can’t use things like normal Wikipedia or Ticktok.

China isolates there own people. You can’t blame Flathub for attacks on freedom. As for mirrors your welcome to create your own repo based on Flathub. However, it is never going to be officially enforced. Flathub is very careful with user safety.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

Oh no, this is Flatpaks’ fault because they made this twisted repository system instead of doing sane things and then it is Flathub’s fault as well because they aren’t opening their storage to rsync or other sane syncing methods.