A family in Naples, Florida, whose home was struck by debris that fell to Earth from outer space and punched a hole in the roof is pursuing $80,000 from Nasa in compensation for damages.

The law firm Cranfill Sumner said in a press release that it filed a claim on behalf of plaintiff Alejandro Otero and his family.

A metallic cylinder slab from a cargo pallet that had been released by the International Space Station in 2021 hit the Otero family home on 8 March 2024 while their son Daniel was home. No one was injured, though it created a hole in the roof and floor.

Otero told Wink News that the object almost hit his son, who was two rooms over.

The US space agency later confirmed the debris was from its flight support equipment. A section of the debris remained intact rather than disintegrating after it entered Earth’s atmosphere before falling to the surface.

• Mobiuthuselah@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

I thought the same thing. This doesn’t seem frivolous at all. They’re not claiming that they’re living in constant fear of the sky falling.

And I’m with ya, I’d totally want to keep the debris.

• kautau@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Yeah some people would bubble this lawsuit as like “we’re seeking millions in psychological damages” but 80k is what I would expect for home repair and a little “you almost killed our kid”