About 3 or 4 years ago PayPal added the option to buy cryptocurrency, which I thought I’d try. (Dumb idea 🙄)

Part of the sign up process was glitched. I retried and clicked submit one too many times, I guess. Now I’ve been unable to use PayPal for years. They blocked me because THEIR SITE was broken, but the web page essentially accuses me of being a criminal and asks for my bank records. No way in hell.

This was just for me to pay others. I can only imagine how awful PayPal is if you are a vendor.

Fuck PayPal.

• accideath@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

Really? Crypto? For one, I know almost no online shop that takes crypto, almost no person I’d send money to has crypto and I don’t want to own crypto either since it’s rather unstable…

• explodicle@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

This doesn’t solve the adoption issue, but you can use “stable coins” like DAI that are pegged to the dollar.

• robigan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 days ago

Sounds like an addoption problem for you. The question asked what other alternative there is and cryptocurrencies solve the problem you stated there is no alternative to. Simple as that

• accideath@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

They don’t. They could maybe. But I want an easy solution to transfer money to people and pay online. Crypto is not that solution because I cannot pay with it in most online shops and I cannot send money directly to other people. The money has to be exchanged to some arbitrary other currency.

Unless everybody used crypto as their main currency and everybody used the same cryptocurrency at that, it’ll always be an extra step, subject to fluctuations in exchange rate and possibly fees/taxes. As long as that’s not the case, it’s not an alternative. So yes, it’s an adoption problem but one that isn’t realistically solvable any time soon

• shortwavesurfer@monero.town
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

Price Crypto at the one-year simple moving average, and the volatility stops. I personally use crypto all the time and make my budget using the one-year simple moving average and it completely eliminates the issue with the volatility because that average takes a very long time to move.

• Summzashi@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

Cool, let’s say your average per year is a value of 50?

Meanwhile in the real world; apple costs 1 in january and 100 in december.

But yeah bro that yearly average.

You crypto bros are like a cult.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 days ago

Better than back when they were saying we’d all be paying for our groceries with Bitcoin in a few years. And every time I pointed out that I wanted my milk to be the same price today as it was yesterday and tomorrow, they got mad.

• Tar_Alcaran@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

Price Crypto at the one-year simple moving average, and the volatility stops.

What? No it doesn’t, you’re just shifting the volatility from your pricing to your consumption.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 days ago

And that’s fine because you will always buy your requirements such as food, water, shelter, and transportation no matter what the price is. But you don’t need that new Xbox right now. It keeps prices steady, which is what people expect from a currency. And the more people who do it this way, the lower the volatility will become because more people are using it.

• robigan@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 days ago

Maybe for you, but there are large parts of the world that are relying on crypto such as the African region which for them has been a game changer as an alternative to their unstable currencies.

• accideath@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 days ago

That is legitimately great. Doesn’t make it a good or even viable PayPal alternative for me, a European, though. Or even a viable alternative for the Euro.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 days ago

Gratuitas.org sells premium grade coffee for Monero. You can also look at monerica.com. There are absolutely tons of legitimate businesses that accept crypto. Actually, when it comes right down to it, it makes a whole lot of sense to accept crypto because the transaction fees are so damn low that businesses save a ton of money over credit card transactions.

• accideath@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 days ago

But why should I base my shopping habits around a currency/platform when I could just use one that almost everyone takes. When I want to order off a random online shop, I do not want to think about whether they’ll even take the money I have.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                5 days ago

Fair enough, I’ll be the first to admit that it takes work in order to use it. I’ll give two reasons. One is a monetary, and one is not.

Reason 1: If we are right, and 15 years of data shows we at least have a point, then you would be an early adopter and very likely end up very wealthy.

Reason 2: You can buy anything from anyone, anywhere, in the world at any time without permission. And it’s guaranteed to be irreversible in 20 minutes.

• ahornsirup@sopuli.xyz
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  5 days ago

it’s guaranteed to be irreversible in 20 minutes

How is that a good thing? I want to be able to chargeback if I don’t get what I ordered.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    5 days ago

That’s what multi-signature escrow is for. You deposit money into an account and you have one key. The vendor has one key and a third key is given to an arbitrator and at least two keys must sign the transaction in order for it to be completed. If the vendor sends you your product and you are happy with it, you sign the transaction and the vendor signs the transaction and the vendor gets the money. If the vendor does not send you what you ordered, you talk to the arbitrator and the arbitrator listens to your case and the vendor’s case and makes a decision.

• accideath@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  5 days ago

then you would be an early adopter and very likely end up very wealthy

So it is speculative.

You can buy anything from anyone, anywhere, in the world at any time without permission

And should I feel the need to buy something from somewhere I need permission for, I will consider getting some crypto. Haven’t had a situation yet where cash didn’t suffice though.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    5 days ago

I feel it’s speculative something like electricity was speculative in the early days of electricity when people were doing it wrong and burning down their houses and people laughed at electricity like who would ever want that and now we can’t really live without it. I will agree, cash is a bearer asset and untraceable and therefore is very good. The only real problem with cash is that it’s based on the monetary policy of the governmyth that issues it. They make bad decisions and you suffer for it.

Edit: That and it’s kind of hard to stuff cash bills into my computer and get them to come out on the other side halfway across the world.