• Value Subtracted@startrek.websiteM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

Well, my days of being glad I’m no longer on Twitter are certainly coming to a middle.

‘She was important because we think she’s important. That’s how everything happens. Every war, every religion, every love story.’

This was probably the most compelling part of the episode for me - the sort of idea that DW excels at.

It’s not even the first time this sort of sentiment has been expressed:

Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. You know, nine hundred years of time and space and I’ve never met anybody who wasn’t important before.

• Subtracty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Exactly, we’ve had so many companion “chosen ones” or “special girls”. I love the sentiment that every single person is important. A person’s origin doesn’t have to lead to a season long story arc.

• brvslvrnst@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

While I enjoyed the series as a whole, it was a little underwhelming to me. There’s nothing wrong with the sentimate shared, that we make who we are; I think it’s more about how the show itself set up a grand reveal as a twist.

The mother being completely unable to be found the whole time, then suddenly UNIT finds all her info after the 3rd act finale was really what was frustrating after the buildup of the series.

I loved the 4th wall breaks of the gods themselves, and the old neighbor hinted as one of the harbingers at the first episodes as well when thinking back.

The idea that the god of death has been along for the ride this whole time is a sweet idea, but wrapped up so quickly that the punch wasn’t felt. I can see why, as the whole gimmick with him was that he just kills everyone.

AnyWho

Series 1 of nu-nu-Who: 7.5/10 Nu-nu-Doctor: 9.5/10

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.ukOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

The mother being completely unable to be found the whole time, then suddenly UNIT finds all her info after the 3rd act finale was really what was frustrating after the buildup of the series.

It was all very convenient. The police have tracked down criminals using their DNA on genetic genealogy sites and don’t need the actual individual’s DNA just someone close enough to narrow things down. I know someone who was adopted and their father’s name was unknown but she did DNA testing that unearthed some of his family and she now knows who he was.

• PenguinMage@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

It was the reactions and the plan for her future “hey” ideas that whelmed me… I didn’t need nor want her to be a new special sidekick, but huh I feel more cynical about life that her ma was this ok.