• RecluseRamble@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

He grew up rich and had a very distinguished pedigree. His life is a study in privilege

What does that prove? Karl Marx came from a wealthy family.

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

I just looked this up. Marx’s family was upper middle class, not wealthy. Marx was not “President’s cousin” wealthy. Marx wasn’t “get a job as a lawyer after dropping out of law school” wealthy.

Marx had to rent rooms to live in. FDR’s mother just gave him a townhouse in NYC. Marx’s father died which resulted in his family having less money. That means he worked for their money. FDR’s father died when he was in college. He was sad but it didn’t affect the family income.

That’s wealth. Marx was not wealthy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Marx

• thedirtyknapkin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

i still don’t see how pointing out the circumstances of their birth is so relevant to discussions about their later political achievements.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 days ago

OK, continue reading and you’ll find his uncle was the founder of Philipps electronics and his main sponsor. Anyway, someone already replied what I hinted at: the wealth of your family doesn’t define your political leaning.

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

his uncle was the founder of Philipps electronics

Philips was founded in 1891 and Karl Marx died in 1883, so how does that work? Explain that to me. This should pop out to you and tell you to check again. His relationship was not an “uncle” either. Frederik Philips was the son of Karl Marx’s wife’s sister. So a distant nephew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_Philips

Do some people just have an opinion in mind and then look for any tiny evidence to support that? There’s no comparison between being born into the wealth of three old money families and knowing one dude who loaned you a few bucks. Why do people upvote these random unsourced incorrect comments?

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 days ago

Ah, right Lion Philips was the founder’s gramps. Still wealthy though.

Do some people just have an opinion in mind and then look for any tiny evidence to support that?

I really hope you see the irony in that statement. Marx may not have been rich but a lawyer’s son at that time wasn’t exactly proletariat either.

• dariusj18@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 days ago

… He was literally working class. The literal definition of the proletariat. He was exactly proletariat. Earning more or less money is not the distinguishing characteristic.